A juicy, gluten free delight! Our Almond St Clement is an incredibly moist orange cake made with ground almonds to create this refreshingly indulgent sponge.
This recipe makes a 24cm cake.
– 3 large unwaxed oranges
– 1 unwaxed lemon
– 5 medium eggs
– 250g ground almonds
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 325g caster sugar
– 60g flaked almonds
-Heat the oven to 165C /Gas Mark 3. Line the base of a 24cm springform cake tin with baking parchment. There is no need to grease the tin as the cake will shrink away from the sides during baking.
– Remove the zest from the orange and lemon and set aside. Juice the lemon and one of the oranges and set the juice aside too. Place the remaining 2 oranges in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour, the remove the oranges from the water and leave t0o cool.
– Peel the cooked oranges and reduce the flesh to a pulp, either in a food processor or using a stick blender. Add the eggs and reserved zest and blitz until smooth.
– Mix the ground almonds, baking powder and 250g of the sugar together in a bowl, add the orange and egg mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
– Pour the mixture into the lined tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds around the edge. Bake for about 30 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool a little.
– Place the remaining sugar and the reserved lemon and orange juice in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer over a medium heat for about 5 minutes to make a syrup.
– Turn the cake out of the tin while it is still warm and brush the hot syrup over it. Leave too cool completely.
Share you’re homemade bake on social media using the hasthag #konditorcakes and #joythroughcakes.