A gooey, chocolatey delight! Our Curly Whirly Brownie has a creamy cheesecake blend with chocolate chips that simply melts in the mouth!
The following makes 8 large squares, 16 medium triangles or fingers or 32 mini brownies.
– 3 medium eggs
– 275g caster sugar
– 175g salted butter
– 200g dark chocolate (54-60% cocoa solids) chopped into small pieces
– 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped into coffee bean sizes pieces
– 175g plain flours
– 200g cream cheese
– 75g icing sugar, sifted
– Seeds from 1/4 vanilla pod
– 1 medium egg yolk
– Heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm x 34cm baking tray with baking parchment.
– Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and give a few whisks with a hand whisk or electric beater, then set aside. This helps the sugar start to dissolve.
– Put the butter in a pan and leave over a medium heat until it has completely melted & small bubbles are just beginning to rise to the surface; be careful not to let it boil. Turn off the head, then add the 54-60% chocolate and a third of the 70% chocolate. Stir until melted.
– Whisk the eggs & add sugar a little more until they turn paler, then add the chocolate mixture & mix to a smooth paste. Sift in the flour & stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined. Finally stir in the remaining pieces of chocolate. Pour the mixture into the lined tray and leave with a spatula or palette knife.
– To make the cheesecake topping, beat the cream cheese with the icing sugar and vanilla until smooth, then mix in the egg yolk.
– Transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm nozzle and pipe it on to the brownie mix in parallel lines about 3cm apart. Drag a fork through the cream cheese and the immediate surface of the chocolate mix to feather it. You are trying to achieve a sligh mixing of the two. In the absence of a piping bad you could simply put small spoonfuls of the mixture on top, then drag a fork through it.
– Bake for 22-25 min in the top half of the oven- Leave to cool in the baking tray. The brownies should have a soft centre and fudgy appearance when cooled.
– Cut into your desired portion size.